Learn About the FOCUS Program
FOCUS is a post-graduate experience for individuals with special needs. Our mission statement is "Focusing on students and their unique strengths while preparing them for their next phase of life." Focus is located at Mill Creek Campus, 300 E. Loula Street, Olathe KS 66061. Please contact Amanda Honaker at 913-971-3477 or email her at email@example.com for more information about FOCUS.
Students who participate in FOCUS will:
- Work on Individualized Education Program (IEP) goals that are vocational in nature.
- Participate in community collaboration activities.
- Engage in activities with their same aged peers.
- Contribute to the community of Olathe through giving back opportunities.
Individuals engaged in FOCUS continue to enhance their job skills through a daily vocational experience. These opportunities present themselves through the Alternative Work Experience (A.W.E.) and/or community work environments. Community collaboration allows individuals with special needs to make community connections while engaging in meaningful activities. These activities vary each semester, although FOCUS strives to provide a community collaboration experience each day. Examples include Olathe Police Department Community Safety, Olathe Fire Department Fire Safety, exercise, giving back, arts and crafts, baking, bingo, cinema FOCUS.
- To prepare students to lead independent, productive, satisfying lives.
- To contribute to their community.
- To collaborate with family, professionals and agencies.
- To assist the student to understand themselves and to become empowered to ultimately achieve his/her dream for a better quality of life.
- To build their individual bridge to independence and prepare them for their next phase of life with concentration on community based activities.