Bus Transportation General Information
- Individual bus information will be provided via email from DS Bus Lines the first week of September
- DS Bus Lines offers new technologies to district families including access for each school building to real-time bus information
- Parents can sign up to receive Textcaster updates about routes. See the instructions in PDF format.
- Contact the Olathe Public Schools Transportation Department via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Olathe Public Schools Transportation Manager is Olivia Malone
- Special Services Transportation Specialist is Megan Scott
- Early Childhood Transportation Specialist is Jennia Peguero
Olathe Public Schools currently provides free transportation to students who live 2.5 miles or more from school. Students attending a 21st Century Academy program outside of their normal home school boundaries are also provided free transportation. Bus transportation may be available on a pay basis for students who live less than 2.5 miles from school if there is an existing route in the area. Bus service is available on a first-come, first-serve, space-available basis. Students who qualify for the federal free and reduced-cost lunch program may be eligible to receive transportation at no cost or a reduced cost.
All mileages are calculated by routing software which measures the shortest route from the student’s home to the front door of the school in accordance with state guidelines. As advancements in technology have improved routing software, mileage calculations may have changed for some students throughout the district. Likewise, when intersections, roadways and school driveways are updated or road construction occurs, mileage calculations are likely to change. Families that once received free transportation may now be determined as having to pay. While others that have previously paid, may now receive free transportation. Mileage calculations are determined for the upcoming school year by July 1 and will remain in place for the entire school year. Changes to mileage that occur after July 1 will not be reflected until the next school year.
Annual bus registration is required for ALL general education students who plan to ride the bus. This includes students who are eligible to ride the bus for free due to their participation in the federal free and reduced cost lunch program, students living over 2.5 miles from school and students that pay for transportation. Routes are built around those who have registered during the open registration period, May 19 to July 24. Registrations received after July 24 may not be guaranteed and will be processed on a first-come, first-serve, space-available basis beginning on Sept. 3. Late registration may result in an increased walk distance to the bus stop or placement on a wait list.
Registrations for new students moving into the district will be processed on a first-come, first-serve, space-available basis. The standard rate will apply with move-in status verification.
If there is an existing bus in the area, bus service is available for transfer students on a first-come, first-serve basis. Registrations received after July 24 may not be processed until after Sept. 3. Late registration may result in an increased walk distance to the bus stop or placement on a wait list.
Students eligible for special education and early childhood transportation should submit an online request form to ensure routing is completed with the most up-to-date information available. Olathe Public Schools transportation office will prepare transportation within the school of attendance routing area and in accordance with a submitted transportation request.
Bus transportation in the Olathe Public Schools is provided under contract with DS Bus Lines and its team of dedicated driving professionals. For more information on service or employment opportunities, email DS Bus Lines at email@example.com or call 913-361-7400.
Register for transportation with DS Bus Lines (Please note that you will leave the Olathe Public Schools’ website and be redirected to DS Bus Lines’ RevTrak registration website.)
Direct questions regarding:
- Student conduct, disciplinary action and student guidelines to the school principal.
- Driver conduct, bus safety, student injury, bus routes and rider eligibility to DS Bus Lines, email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 913-361-7400.
- Olathe Public Schools Transportation Department email email@example.com.